Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Saturday, January 18, 2014

{Pecan Chocolate Chip Scones: Scones for Sherlock}


I'll admit I have a little addiction to British TV shows (can I say British telly? I really wanna!). At times I think I watch more British shows than American. I love Downton Abbey, Doctor Who, Lark Rise to Candleford, The Vicar of Dibley, Call the Midwife, and many more. However, one of my very favorites is set to come back (to PBS) tomorrow, and I. CANNOT. WAIT.

The thing about British shows is the eternity between seasons. It lasts forever. It's not a quicky 3 month hiatus like American shows. It's months and months. Sometimes years. For this show in particular, it's been years. The Reichenbach Fall (the episode that aired last) was May 20, 2012.

Yes folks, I'm speaking, of course, of Sherlock. If you haven't watched Sherlock yet, I cannot express what you are missing. It is totally and completely made of awesome. It's a modern day take on the story, which sounds a little odd, but so isn't. Sherlock, played by the amazing Mr. Benedict Cumberbatch, is someone you cannot decide if you love or hate, but you certainly root for him in all cases. Watson is played by Bilbo Baggins himself, Martin Freeman.


Not only are scones wonderfully British, Mrs. Hudson, the pair's landlady, is always bringing them trays of tea. I'm quite sure there are scones on it at least some of the time. So, it seemed like the perfect treat for Mr. Holmes.

Scones are a lovely thing. Somewhere between a cookie and a coffee cake. I love the flaky goodness of them. They remind me a lot of the Molly Weasley's Rock Cakes that I made a while back.  They are quite easy to whip up. Other than the chilling time, they come together very quickly. While my version is quite Americanized (sweeter, and wedge shaped), I still think our British friends would find them agreeable.

Scones are a great blank canvas, so many things are delicious in them. For these, chocolate, pecans, and vanilla beans. Yum.

They pair perfectly with tea, of course! Great with coffee too.


There's really no mystery here, even grumpy Sherlock would approve of these!


Are you a Sherlock fan? Or do you know an awesome British show I should be watching?

Let me know in comments.


Tina





Pecan Chocolate Chip Scones
adapted from King Arthur Flour

Dough:
2 3/4 cups flour
1/3-1/2 cup sugar (use 1/2 cup sugar for a sweeter scone)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup cold butter
1 cup chocolate chips (I used milk, you can use whatever you prefer)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk*

Topping:
2 teaspoons milk
2 tablespoons coarse sugar

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
Cut in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly (you may have some larger pieces of butter that remain). 
  
Mix in the chocolate chips & pecans.

In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and milk.

Pour the liquid ingredients to the dry and stir until it holds together well.

Line a baking sheet with parchment or use an ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle a small amount of flour on the parchment or pan. Divide dough in half.  Round each half into a 6" circle They should be about 3/4" thick.

Brush with milk, and sprinkle with coarse sugar.  Run a knife under cold water, and dry. Use the chilled knife to cut each circle into 6 wedges. Space the wedges about 1/2" apart.

For best texture and highest rise, place the uncovered pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes.

During this time, preheat your oven to 400 F
 
Bake the scones for 20 minutes or until they're golden brown.

Let sconces cool briefly on the pan. Drizzle with glaze. Serve warm.

When cooled, wrap in plastic and store at room temp.

Vanilla Bean Glaze
by Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers

1 cup powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
Caviar of 1/2 a vanilla bean*

Carefully split open a vanilla bean and remove 1/2 of the caviar (store the rest of the bean in an airtight container for later use). Place caviar into a small mixing bowl. Add in the powdered sugar, milk, and butter. Whisk until glossy. Drizzle over warm scones.

You can also use 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract






4 comments:

  1. These sound very good and I like the red telephone box in the picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!! I need to make these like now. I just started watching Sherlock and I LOVE IT. Nothing new to recommend, but I love Doctor Who, too :) Love your blog, it's a tie for first place with Bakingdom (love your friendship with Darla, btdubs, I need a Potter-obsessed friend like that!) and I have no joke been having like at least 3 Ham Sams a week. Because yum.
    ~Maya :):

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maya!

      Thanks so much for your kind words and I'm glad you love the Ham Sams. They are Bean's favy!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for replying! At the minuscule age of 14 it really made my day ;)
      ~Maya :): <------comedy/tragedy smiley btw

      Delete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...