Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

{Ham Sams with Poppy Seed Dressing}


When I was a teenager, we had something at church called 'Prayer Breakfast'. Every Wednesday morning, before school, our youth group would go to church for a short devotional time. After devotions we would eat breakfast together. The ladies in the church took turn preparing it from week to week. We'd have everything from donuts and muffins, to sausage biscuits and gravy, to eggs, to pancakes and bacon  to everything in between.

My favorite thing though? A sweet lady named Ruth made totally delicious ham sandwiches. I knew if I saw Ruth in the church kitchen, it was going to be a good day!

They'd come out to us in foil. We'd unwrap them and breathe in the heavenly (ha, see what I did there? church? heavenly? yeah.) aroma. As a tiny teenage girl I could easy put away more than is totally proper. No shame, they are that good!


Recently my mom made them for a ladies group meeting. When I found out, I pestered her endlessly until she gave me the recipe. I'm a good daughter. I'm not really sure I ever outgrew my "pesty" stage. Finally, she gave it to me. Oh happy day!

I've mentioned in the past that Bean is quite the picky eater. When I made these up for the blog, I didn't figure he'd like them. Well, I was right, he didn't like them. He's obsessed with them! He even begged me to make him two slider sized after school yesterday. Here's the best thing about this recipe, it's SO EASY. He can make it himself.

As I mentioned, you can make these in slider sized. Or mini subs like I did for this post. Or regular sized. Or full sized subs. Any size will do, just make a lot!

For the sliders I made him, I simply sliced King's Hawaiian Rolls and made the sandwiches.




I've never known a name for these. We've just always called them Ruth's sandwiches. Bean has dubbed them Amazingly Delicious Ham Sams though. I'll stick with Ham Sams.


I can't say as I know the source of this recipe, only that Ruth made them a good 25 years ago. Delicious then. Delicious now. They have this almost honey mustard flavor to them. Here's the rub though, there's no honey in this mustard at all! Magic.


I'm pretty sure these are ingredients I'll need to have on hand full time now. Bean cannot get enough of these!

Good thing they are easy!


These are great for get togethers & parties too.

Tina


Ham Sams
with a mustard onion poppy seed dressing
makes 8  (3 1/2"-4" buns)
(or less depending on how much meat you like on your sandwiches)


1 lb ham, sliced or chipped (chipping is very thin slices, almost shredded. I use chipped for my sandwiches)
1/2 lb Swiss cheese, sliced
1/4 pound butter, melted
2 Tablespoons dried onion flakes (or fresh diced onion)
3 Tablespoons mustard
1 Tablespoons poppy seeds
Buns


Melt butter. Add in mustard and stir until mixed. Add onion and poppy seed. Stir.
Assemble sandwich with ham and a slice of swiss cheese.
Spread dressing onto the outside of the bun tops.

You can also spread it on the inside of the buns too, though you may need to mix up a bit more.

Wrap in foil and bake at 325 F for 15-20 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I love ham sandwiches, so I'll have to give this version a try! Do you get your ham at the deli counter, or prepackaged?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okie dokie. :)
    I've never asked to have it chipped, but I assume they'll know what I mean, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize this wasn't a common term. It's just very, very thin slices. Almost shredded.

      Delete
  3. You should make me some right now.

    ReplyDelete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...