Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

{ So Much Chocolate }

This recipe?

Seriously? So. Much. Chocolate.

I’m pretty sure these cookies are illegal in at least 2 states due to pure abuse of the cacao plant.

Imma bad, bad person.

GCocoa1

That’s a cocoa dough, semi sweet chips, milk chocolate chips, and white chocolate chips. Chocolate squared.

It all started with these little boxes.

GCocoa-1

Rhonda, who I spent 13 years of school with, is currently living in Germany for the year. She talked about this German cocoa, and I immediately needed some.

Not wanted, folks. Needed.

She said she’d bring me some when she came home for a visit. And indeed she did.

Thanks, Rhonda!!

I was asked if this was Dutch Processed or regular.

I have to admit, I had no idea what Dutch Processed was, so I consulted my all knowing friend. His name? Google. 

Google told me to read here. And so I did, and so I learned, and so I became confused.

Do I need to use baking powder in my recipe? But the cookies I’m making don’t take baking powder. Should I add baking powder? It helps with the rising. Do cookies need to rise??

In the end, I did what I do best.

I totally winged it.

I threw in 1/4 teaspoon baking powder and hoped for the best.

It’s alllll gooood, baby.

Let me show you the difference between the two cocoas. It’s quite remarkable.

GCocoa2

The German Cocoa (dutch processed) is SO red! Pretty, right?? Makes our stuff look boring. I’ll never look at it the same way again. Oh, sure, I’ll use it, but I remember how much prettier its sister is, and know my feelings have changed toward it. Forever.

I’m vain like that.

For these cookies, I edited this recipe:

The Best Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie <--------------------read all about it there.

Chocolate Squared Cookies
(4 times the fudgey goodness)
Preheat oven to 325
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour ( minus 2 Tablespoons)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened or dutch processed cocoa
  • (if using dutch processed cocoa add 1/4 tsp baking powder)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment (I always say ‘yes!’ to parchment)

add sugars and butter to mixing bowl and beat until well combined, then add vanilla, egg, and egg yolk.

Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl. Slowly add to mixture until well blended. Add chocolate chips and stir.

Drop by 1/4 cup unto cookie sheet. Bake 15-17 minutes or until the edges are lightly toasted. 

Let cool on baking sheets for a 3-4 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. 

GCocoa1

Fudgetastic. Way fudgetastic.

Almost like a brownie cookie. A Cooknie.

And once again, you’re welcome.

Tina

4 comments:

  1. ummmm hellllooooo amazzzzing cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!!!! I'll be making these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear, dear Dutch Processed Cocoa. How I do miss you.

    I'm going to PM you my bestest, most favoritest chocolate cake recipe at DSP. It takes Dutch Process Cocoa - which I've not been able to find in over a decade. I use the Hershey's Dark (or something like that, can't remember the name off the top of my head and I'm fresh out, so I can't even look in the cupboard) which is half and half. Anyway, you'll be able to enjoy the cake as it is truly meant to be eaten and I will be eternally jealous.

    On a side note, the original Red Velvet Cake got its red color from the Dutch processed cocoa, no food coloring was added. But I'm sure your pal Google already told you that. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper! Have a blessed week:)

    Everyday Mom's Meals

    ReplyDelete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...